Since the foundation of the Geography Department seven decades ago, its researchers have approached topics from the field of the physical geography (geomorphological or hydrological studies), human geography and regional geography (analyses on population and settlements, ethnography, tourism, economy, organization of the geographical space, etc.).
Today, the activity in the Department is focused on regional and spatial analyses, and territorial planning, its eight members conducting research in the following areas:
– natural heritage and geosites
– risks and vulnerable areas
– land use change and complex territorial dynamics
– population structures
– rural development
– cultural landscapes
– tourism potential and development
– transport networks and accessibility
– contemporary conceptual trends
Research in these domains is carried out both as individual studies as well as within wider research teams for more complex projects, and has been applied so far mainly on the Transylvanian region.